Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bats and Spiders

I had an interesting encounter whilst walking the dog last night: I got brushed on the cheek by a bat.  It was one of the softest touches I've ever been touched by.  Softer than silk sheets, softer than a loving kiss by your partner.  It lasted just a fraction of a second, so quick that at first I doubted it happened, but then the bat flew right in front of my eyes.  I know some of you will recoil when you read this, but I thought it was just awesome. 
Think about how great bats are.  A single bat can eat up to 1200 mosquitoes in an hour!  Plus, some species are fruit or nectar eaters, so the help pollinate the plants and flowers.  Holy crap!  Yes, they could be filthy, but I think I'll take a dirty flying rat (basically) instead of around 1000 mosquitoes. 
This brings me to the next subject: spiders.  But before you brutally squish that eight-legged critter, think on this: they eat tons of bugs too.  I know some are just disgusting to look at, but what they do is incredible!  And their webs....wow!  There's nothing quite so beautiful as a spider's web wet with dew first thing in the morning!

1 comment:

  1. Bats are fantastic. We have them where my parents live, and if I stand on their porch at night they flit right around me, sometimes touching me. My folks are by a river, but thanks to the bats, they're never bothered by mosquitoes.

    I can't get behind you on spiders, though. Listen, I appreciate all they do in the circle of life and everything, they just need to do it far away from me.

    ReplyDelete