Thursday, April 19, 2012

Moshing

With the Gwar concert coming up this Sunday (April 22), I've decided to (try to) explain what moshing is.  According to Wikipedia,
"Moshing, in a strict sense, is a style of dance whose participants push or slam into each other. It is most associated with "aggressive" music genres, such as hardcore punk and heavy metal. It is primarily done to live music, although it can be done to recorded music."
You can read the entire article here.
In its most basic form, moshing is a bunch of people running around and crashing into each other while a heavy metal concert is going on around them.  However, there are a few different kinds of moshing: push-moshing, hardcore dancing, circle pit, and wall of death.
The wall of death is a very violent act (hence the name) and people have been seriously hurt during it.


That video clip was from the Summer Breeze Festival DVD...the metal band Exodus playing Strike of the Beast.

The band Gwar has a different kind of moshing.  At least at the concerts I've been to.  The crowd is pushed up as close to the stage as they can get, so it's one big mass.  The fans sway mostly side to side, with a little bit of front to back.  A pit does open up in back of the main crush of people, though, and that one is the circle pit.


That's a "blood cannon" that one of the characters, Bonesnapper the troll, is spraying over the crowd.  No, I've never participated in a Wall of Death.  Yes, I've been in two Gwar pits, and I plan on being in my third this Sunday.  I have a white T-shirt ready, as most of the frequent Gwar concert-goers wear to see how soaked with "blood" (see one of my previous blogs about my last Gwar concert) they can get.  I will take pics of before and after the concert with my phone, and post them the next day.
Until then, so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment